Friday, July 18, 2014

Clean Eating Smores! (and Healthy Graham Cracker Recipe)


This creation has been a long time coming. From the very first time I was introduced to the square marshmallows of trader joe's I knew I had to make my own. Since I was making marshmallows, I figured I might as well go-all-out and make my own s'mores.I must say I was not disappointed (and neither were any of my experimental taste testers). My parents, grandmother, aunt, sister and two friends were extremely impressed about how good they were. The marshmallows were light, super fluffy and sweet. My grandmother, a marshmallow connoisseur, was amazed at their deliciousness. The chocolate was so decadent, just pure heaven and what I felt made the s'mores. And finally the graham crackers just brought it all together. They are a bit fluffier than store bought but it is not a bad thing at all.


Besides being half the price of store bought and delectable, these bad boys are also healthier too. They have no corn syrup and I only use honey and dates for sweetness so they are also diabetic friendly. The gelatin in the marshmallows promotes healthy joints, nails, hair and skin. The chocolate has healthy fats and antioxidants. To bring it all home the graham crackers are full of fiber, making them filling and great for digestion.

I will say this recipe is quite a bit of work but you will be so proud of yourself in the end. I certainly was:) I even built the fire to roast them over (with a little help from my dad of course). It's also very messy, just as all s'mores should be, and they will certainly have you coming back for s'more.



Marshmallows: I used this recipe but used only 1/2 cup of honey, added a dash of cinnamon, and a tablespoon of vanilla to cut through the honey taste. Make sure to let them dry out a day or more if you are going to roast them.

Chocolate: Just substitute vanilla for mint extract in this recipe.

Graham Cracker:


Ingredients:
-2 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
-1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
-1 tsp baking powder
-1/2 tsp baking soda
-1/2 cup of date syrup
-2 tbsp honey
-2 tbsps cinnamon
-1/2 tsp salt
-1/2 cup grass-fed butter
-1/4 cup milk

Directions

  1. Sift together the flours, baking powder and baking soda; set aside.
  2. In a medium bowl, cream together the butter, date syrup and honey until light and fluffy. Add the seasonings. Stir in the sifted ingredients alternating with the milk and vanilla. Cover dough and refrigerate overnight (optional).
  3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Divide the chilled dough into quarters. On a well floured surface, roll the dough out one quarter at a time into a 5x15 inch rectangle. Divide into rectangles using a knife. Place rectangles onto parchment lined cookie sheet. Mark a line down the center of each one, and prick with a fork. 
  4. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove from baking sheets to cool on wire racks.

No comments:

Post a Comment