Sunday, June 22, 2014

A Pretty Farmer's Breakfast (Purple Cauliflower Hash and Day Lilies)


Did you know that you can actually eat Day-Lilies. Well you can! And they're delicious. Like delicate, sweet lettuce. Just don't confuse them with true lilies, they're poisoness.

I was first introduced to them as a child by my grandma's crazy porcelain ladies (her students). I liked them then and I love them now. My sweet momaw has gotten up early every morning to get some me some (before the bugs do) ever since I reminded her of my memories.

She also bought me purple cauliflower and eggs from the farmers market, I have it too good. This was a very yummy dish. It had a sour, savory quality that was oddly reminiscent of lamb. Probably due to the sage and onions. I cooked my egg just till there is just the tiniest bit of runiness left in the eggs, its the best way to taste the butteriness of a free-ranged egg. Enjoy with your eyes and your tummy

Ingredients (serves one):
-1 tsp olive oil
-1/2 onion chopped fine
-2 cups of cauliflower finely chopped
-4 grape tomatoes cut in half
-1 1-inch round of polenta cut into 5 pieces
-1 tsp no salt seasoning
-1/2 tsp oregano
-1/4 tsp sage
- 1 farmers market egg
-the petals from 2 day-lilies

Directions: In a skillet that has a lid, sautee the onions and olive oil for 5 minutes. Add the cauliflower and about 3 tbsps water, cover with a lid and cook for 5 minutes, until they start to become tender. Remove the lid, add the tomatoes, polenta, spices and a bit more olive oil if you want. Cook until polenta is warm (~2 minutes). Pour in another 3 tbps of water and create a hole in the middle of the pan and crack the egg into it. Cover and cook egg to desired completeness. Plate and top with the petals, then eats it my precious.

No comments:

Post a Comment