Monday, May 25, 2015

Cheesy Butternut Squash and Sage Penne

After a week of being 22 I found myself at one of my favorite place with my wonderful Jenna T. The farmer's market. The only unfortunate part of the trip was the rain...but without the rain there wouldn't be any plants to consume so I'm okay with that.
I bought beautiful eggs from happy and adorable hens.

I also bought beets, mini zucchini, apples, and butternut squash.



Jenna wanted to do pasta which gave me the idea for this recipe.

The difference between this and other butternut mac and cheese recipes is it's gluten free and has fresh herbs and spring onions.


These additions make it savory and satisfying, forcing a yum to immediately escape from your mouth upon intake.



This dish has earned its way to my sister top 5 favorite meals. With all the omega threes, beta-carotene, fiber and deliciousness it contains I feel great about feeding it to my friends and family. 


Thank you Jenna T for all the photos, fun and cheese shredding!

Ingredients:
-3 Cups uncooked pasta (I used gluten-free brown rice pasta)
-1 small butternut squash (1 cup pureed)
-2 tbsp butter from grass-fed cows
-3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
-1/4 cup chopped spring onion
-1 tbsp chopped fresh sage
-1 tsp basil
-1/4 tsp ground pepper
-1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch of salt
-3 tbsp almond flour
-1 cup shredded cheese from grass-fed cows
-1 cup milk

Directions:
1. Peel and chop the butternut squash, add to water with salt, boil until soft 
2. Drain the squash and puree
3. Cook pasta in salty water according to package instructions reducing the cook time by 1 minute to ensure al dente pasta; set aside.
4.In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add the garlic, onions and other spices, saute until onions are clear 
5.Whisk in flour and cook for 1-2 minutes whisking frequently.
6. Pour in the milk and bring to a boil then reduce to low. Whisk constantly until sauce begins to thicken.
7. Stir in winter squash and shredded cheese. Mix until melted, about 2-3 minutes. Check for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
8. Add penne to the pot and stir until pasta is evenly coated.
9. Serve immediately and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment